shelbs
oswin

It is currently WINTER in WESTEROS during the year 303 AC. The new moon cycle marks a full twenty years since the Mad King was murdered, and his son King Rhaegar ascended the Iron Throne in his place. Though the year is fresh, war in the Narrow Sea has left the Free Cities of Volantis and Tyrosh in ashes, and the Long Night continues to beckon from the Northern fringes of the Seven Kingdoms. With the Queen Lyanna presumed dead, the citizens of the realms look only to each other for survival.
[x] Site's Most Wanted has been updated! Get em while they're hot!
[x] SURPRISE! Please enjoy our new skin, and let the staff know if you find any bugs! (Shelbs accidentally overwrote the old skin and posted this too soon so it's entirely possible the dumbass she forgot some things!)
[x] THE FATE OF TYRION LANNISTER HAS BEGUN! Mass thread HERE! If you play a character that has been selected as judge, please join in asap! Otherwise the thread is open to all wanting to participate!
[x] Keep an eye out for a new mini-event we have been planning! The bloodshed fun is never over!
[x] As always... we are in need of MALE characters!

Add Reply
New Poll

The Old Ways Versus The New, Rodrik
BALON GREYJOY
 Posted: Apr 7 2018, 06:37 AM
N/A years old
IRON ISLANDS
Greyjoy
Greyjoy
Kings Landing
Noble

"A FUCKING BETROTHAL TO A MAINLAND GIRL!" Balon Greyjoy could not believe his ears nor could he believe what he was saying. His eldest son was betrothed to a Lannister girl. A girl from the Mainlands! A girl with the purpose of furthering some political girl. Everything about patience that he had learned as a "guest" of the dragon "king" going out the window as he threw the nearest thing to him at the wall. The plate shattering and sending shards all over the floor below. "Ironborn do NOT get betrothed to mainland GIRLS." His anger clouding his words as they were practically forced out with certain emphasis on some. The man who had delivered the news quickly stepped backwards and away from Balon. Anger coursed through him until he took a deep breath. Rising from his seat and moving over towards the map that hung on his wall. This news had sparked an idea in the old man. Why bother raiding in the Riverlands, where they generally raided? No... now he turned his eye towards the place where his future good daughter would be coming from. The Westerlands...

And then it was like all of his planning just came together in an instant. Casterly Rock would be impossible to take considering that he only had convinced a handful of ships to direct their actions alongside his. But Lannisport. It was less guarded and easily accessible by ship. There was likely enough gold in Lannisport to distract the men and show the rest of the Iron Fleet that Balon was still a force to be reckoned with. He even had a plan to distract his eldest son while he gathered up the forces and went raiding. It was all working out so perfectly. Now the time had come to lay down the final orders before preparing for what was to come. Alannys had already agreed to go with him, for which he was thankful. They would join the Drowned God together and he would never see her spend another moment alone. Once Rodrik was out of the picture, Balon could see to the final preparations of the ships and their crew.

A rare smile spreading across his lips though the sinister nature was shining through. Balon was not a nice person yet he was happy with how things were progressing. He was ready to seal his fate. After one final review of his plans, Balon left his chambers. His keep on Pyke was not know for being an overly dull place, pending the mood of the men that roamed it. Sailors with work were often too busy to hang around, which is how Balon liked it. Men and women had jobs to attend to so they best do just that. As he traveled through the stone halls he did not run into anyone until he found himself in the main hall. The hearth was warm and full of fire. Enough to warm the whole room. His eyes quickly scanned over the forms until he spotted his eldest son. He did not care if his actions were perceived as rude. Quickly he crossed the room with his bulky leather boots slamming hard against the stone floor.

His hand found the shoulder of his son. His fingers easily wrapping around the part where the shoulder and the arm met. It was not a forceful grab or shove. There was no anger within Balon at this point. Just the authority of a man that was in charge. "I must speak with you." He told his eldest son. "There is a matter we need to attend to." The matter of Euron Greyjoy, otherwise known as Rodrik's distraction while Balon made off with those that still followed him. With his hand still on his son's shoulder, Balon motioned towards the corridor outside of the main hall. The ears of those around him did not need to be privy to this conversation.
PMEmail
^
RODRIK GREYJOY
 Posted: Apr 12 2018, 07:26 PM
22 years old
IRON ISLANDS
Targaryen
Greyjoy
Pyke
Noble

Rodrik was not looking forward to seeing his father again, he didn't think he would likely ever be glad to see the man again at this rate. A pity but certainly nothing he would lose sleep over, they were very different people, in their own eyes and in the same eyes that once saw so much love for each other. But after such a long separation it is no surprise that great changes have come upon them both, and the saying that absence makes the heart grow fonder, well that is just a saying. The only thing he and his father seemed to share now was a name, and a mutual dislike for each other, bordering on hatred even.

But none the less there was no chance of avoiding his dear dad, no matter where he went on Pyke his father could always be there. He was certainly not going to leave Pyke, not with that fool being its only other option if he did, Pyke needed him and so he would stay here again, in this land of salt and rock. Avoiding his father would be impossible, so he simply went about his life, meeting with captains, enjoying his meals, his training, his books, and spending as much time with his betrothed as he ever could if he had the chance. And in the great hall was where he was finally found, the men he was talking to leaving at his fathers approach as he pasted a smile across his face, he knew this was not going to be an enjoyable visit.

He should know not to lay hands upon him, he is no longer a child and only children needed a hand upon them to gather their attention, unless the speaker is undeserving of it of course, in which case the hand is perhaps the only way to gain it. His eyes drifted to his fathers hand upon him before looking into his eyes as he spoke, a vague smile upon his face despite the daggers in his eyes. "I did not realise I needed a hand upon me to speak, am I a puppet like you now?" Rodriks words were almost spat out but he managed to keep them simply to a whisper that only his father would hear. He knew the response would be angry and possibly painful but he did not care, he would not respect the man simply because he believed he deserved it. "Let us speak then dear father, I assume you had a place in mind?" Rodriks words were louder this time, no longer trying to hide them as he turned and strode from the room. He hoped this would be over quickly, he had no intention of spending more time than he had to with this.
PMEmail
^
BALON GREYJOY
 Posted: Apr 26 2018, 05:19 AM
N/A years old
IRON ISLANDS
Greyjoy
Greyjoy
Kings Landing
Noble

The hand that was not upon his son's shoulder instantly balled up into a fist as the muscles in his arm tensed up. He was not a man that disliked being spoken to in such a manner. It took years to earn his way out of the black cells by controlling his rage rather than lashing out at whomever came his way. Sadly to hear his own son speak to him in such a manner sparked a little bit of that rage. His eyes narrowed into a glare directed at his son. But it only lasted a moment before he regained composure. Now was not the time to challenge his son. Deep down Balon hated his eldest son but he also respected him as a man. Ironborn were raised to be independent and strong. The man before Balon was both of those things. Father and son just disagreed on the direction of the people. The Old Ways were the ways of the Ironborn, at least that is what Balon believed. To turn towards the New Ways was to forgo their heritage and become like the mainlands that they so despised. He did not want to live to see the day where his blood was intermingled with that of the soft girls of the mainlands. They were good for raping and killing. That was it.

Balon would have to approach this situation with a different tactic. Rather than yelling and demanding of his son, who did not respect him, there would have to be a more subtle way. A way to convince Rodrik to do as Balon ordered without Balon ordering his stubborn son around. Ruling without power was difficult, even for the well respected Lord and captain. In his younger days, Balon spoke and those around him acted without threats. Oh how he missed having that authority. Now he practically begged captains to follow him raiding in the Westerlands and pay them extra for their secrecy.

Thankfully they pair of men were able to walk into the corridor for the intended privacy. He was not attempting to be sneaky but he wanted to place an air of delicacy towards the situation. Euron was a threat. He always had been and he would continue to be even in his banishment. Although the banishment had been taken out by his wife but Balon trusted it to be a true and just punishment for the crime. The details were briefly explained to him.

"We have a situation that must be dealt with. As you have the respect of the captains of the Iron Fleet I was hoping that you might take it upon yourself to deal with it." Yes...present it as an opportunity for his son to shine as a leader. Make it seem like a good idea with subtle praise. Balon had never been the manipulative type yet now he saw the need to watch his words while at the same time tailoring them to his audience. His plan would all fall apart if Rodrik would not leave the Iron Islands. How would he sneak away without alerting trouble? Perhaps he needed a back up plan in case this one failed. Another added item to his growing list before they could cast off. My brother, Euron, is rumored to be lurking in the Shield Islands. His presence is... unwanted to say the least."

Rumors needed to be confirmed and then dealt with. On the Shield Islands, Euron would be a threat to the mainlands (not that Balon cared about that part). But he did not like having his punished brother so close. Withholding the ability for Euron to kill Balon was his final act of defiance. Death would come by his own plan, rather than allowing one of those that sought after his crown to take it from him. Balon was one stubborn old man even without his power.
PMEmail
^
RODRIK GREYJOY
 Posted: May 24 2018, 07:48 PM
22 years old
IRON ISLANDS
Targaryen
Greyjoy
Pyke
Noble

The reaction from his father was precisely what he expected, and the way that he controlled that rage was just as he had heard. Perhaps he had learned some things during his time as the dragon kings plaything. Despite the differences between father and son he would never have wished such an experience on him, he hated him, but not that much. He was enjoying testing his father, the control he held was so tenuous, and only became more so as he had to continue to beg and plead rather than order and demand. Power was like that, a hard slope to climb, but an easy one to fall down.

As they walked all he could think of was, "what does this man need from me?" His father would likely rather bow down to the dragon once again than ask for Rodriks help. So either he needed something from him that no other person could provide, or he wanted to argue with him once again, both probably. Rodrik strode down the corridor waiting for his father to speak, a want of privacy likely meant he was about to try and fight against Rodriks control of the Iron Islands. Why else would he need secrecy? There was not enough space on Pyke for secrets, as the only people who gossip more than old women, are bored sailors and drunk men, which made most of the population.

His fathers first words made him laugh, flattery, not his fathers strong suit, but interesting that he tried it, the fact that he said "we" interested him though, it was not often that they would agree on something that must be done. But mention of his most hated uncle, now that definitely caught his attention, the only man more likely to cause an upset to Rodriks plans than his dear father. "I had wondered when the little bird would return to roost. Why are you telling me this though dear father? I would think that your favourite dragon king would be the man to be told, it is his realm that would be destroyed." Rodrik certainly wanted that particular family member removed from this world. But it was decreed that no Ironborn would shed the blood of another, and kinslaying was still a taboo thing even amongst his people.
PMEmail
^
BALON GREYJOY
 Posted: Jun 6 2018, 04:50 PM
N/A years old
IRON ISLANDS
Greyjoy
Greyjoy
Kings Landing
Noble

Could he hit his son over that comment? Part of him thought yes but then he realized that he would risk his entire plan if he were to strike his son over such a rude comment. Balon Greyjoy did not kneel to the dragon "king"! Even in his pretend submission, never did he bend a knee or proclaim that he was loyal. His submission was merely acting docile and saying what the "king" wanted to hear so that Balon would be released. His son could not look past the obvious. Rodrik did not even seem to let his mind be open to other possibilities, which Balon understood as he was the same way. He could not blame anyone for their reaction towards him as Balon knew that he would have a similar reaction if the circumstances were different. His time away had changed him and opened his mind in many ways.

"Ironborn handle their own problems." It was the truth. Balon would not want his business handled by some mainlander with their ill equipped ships. A lord took care of their own and handled their own problems. There was no need to go running to some "king" who was preoccupied. Plus the less attention that Balon drew to himself, the better. Sending ships to the Shield Islands would likely gather some attention, though if they did not go to the mainlands then the Reach would just be on their guard. Balon's final strike would be one that would not draw the attention of his enemies until it was too late for them. He refused to die by the hand of some false king. Death in battle would be much more preferable for the Lord of the Iron Islands. "I would handle my brother personally however I am not well liked among the Iron Fleet any longer. I might be the Lord of these Islands but I have lost their respect." A fact that Rodrik would have already known but Balon's desperate situation required him to beg. Reminding his son of his own humiliation was an aid in boosting his first born's ego.

"I...humbly ask that you take those that are loyal and go handle the situation before Euron makes a any sort of trouble." The word 'humbly was practically chocked out. It was a word that Ironborn did not use, which made it feel unnatural. It made Balon wake to puke in his mouth. Still he said it. Slowly lowering his head as though he were being submissive to his heir. Letting Rodrik feel as though he had the power when soon enough Balon was going to fuck it all up.
PMEmail
^
RODRIK GREYJOY
 Posted: Jun 18 2018, 10:21 PM
22 years old
IRON ISLANDS
Targaryen
Greyjoy
Pyke
Noble

Rodrik was disappointed at the response from his father, he was searching for something of Ironborn within the man, but he held less than even the fools that could not open their eyes saw of Rodrik. He had changed, it seemed like all he did now was beg and whine, even if faked, which he expected, as the man could not truly feel the way he is showing if he still fought against Rodrick's power. No, his father was now little more than a schemer it seemed, like one of those greenlander lords, trying to manipulate everyone around them to hold onto power, it was sad, as his father was not good at it. The submissive wording, body language, it did not fit the kind of man who would come to the iron islands after so long away and immediately try and take control back from his son. No man who tried to do that in a place like this could seriously be that submissive to the man whose power he was trying to wrestle away.

Luckily for his father he needed to deal with this particular thorn, though thorn was too good a word for one such as him. Euron Greyjoy was and always would be little better than the wood rot that had to be scraped and cut from the ship. If Rodrik had to be the one to do so, then he would make sure that no trace of that rot was seen ever again, he would cut it out and burn all remnants of it. "It is interesting that you call yourself lord if you believe you have lost the respect that position holds. And more interesting that you then reinforce the loss of respect by this demonstration." He did not trust this man, he did not trust any man in truth, and he trusted his family less than most. "But Euron must be stopped, and I will do so, despite how poorly you act the beggar, I know it is not you, no matter the rumors that follow your every step. I am not these other captains, I can still see the man who lead a rebellion against all common sense. I will do this, but do not think that my absence means my power here is lessened, there are many who are loyal to me here." Rodriks smile was still across his face, despite the piercing look in his eyes, he knew there was more to this, but he had no choice, he had to do this.

Despite knowing he had to leave and that would indeed weaken his position here, he would not do so without further planning, he would not take all those loyal with him to deal with this threat, a select few crews he believed more loyal than most would remain behind. He did not believe his father beyond attempting to harm his betrothed in an attempt to cause a war with the lannisters, or even to simply attempt to harm him. As such he knew he would need a few crews at least to stay and protect her, and a few to keep an eye on his crazed brother and father. Though his sister and little theon were still a concern, there was doubt in his mind that they would truly rise against him, they had little greater bond to his father than they did him, at least in his mind.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

ACTA Age of Heroes Break the Wheel: a Season 8 GOT AU >
Candyland Couture RPG-D

☣ SKINNED BY WALKERBAIT ☣
TOGGLE CBOX BY KISMET
CFS SCRIPT BY BLACK
TEMPLATES BY NICOLE
BANNER BY KARA THRACE